Hair transplantation, a surgical procedure of moving hair from one area to another, has become a popular hair restoration method for people experiencing hair loss or baldness.
The US comprises most of the patients that receive hair transplant procedures. Experts suggest that the American cosmetic industry will gain significant traction by 2027 as the cases of hair loss problems among men and women are expected to increase and therefore lead to more hair transplants.
However, hair transplantation can be a complex procedure depending on the case, so it is best to learn about it or talk with an expert before starting your treatment. To help you out, we have explained a common question about washing hair after restoration here.
Ways to Wash Your Hair after Restoration
One must follow the necessary steps regarding washing hair after restoration. Some of these ways are,
- The transplanted area should be covered with lotion and left for 15-30 minutes. The lotion has a softening effect around the transplanted grafts and donor area and helps to remove traces of blood and heal faster. After 15-30 minutes, wash the scalp with warm water. The donor and transplanted area are washed with special medicated shampoo. To do this, lather a little shampoo and apply it to the scalp.
- After washing, dry your hair with a towel. Ensure that you do not rub. You should apply moisturizer when the scalp feels dry. It is also possible to use moisturizer in between hair washes if the sensation of dryness is persistent.
- You may start washing your hair normally no sooner than 14 days. If needed, you can also wash your hair more than once a day.
- If you are purchasing a hair product, please ensure that it does not contain silicone, perfume, or dyes.
Hair Products You Can Use after Restoration
After restoration, using baby shampoo is advisable for the first few weeks. The transplant area can be tender, and baby shampoo is gentle and great for preventing irritation. Mix the baby shampoo with water in a cup and then wash it. Other than baby shampoo, some natural hair products that are good for hair after restoration are:
- Argan Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Tea tree Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Peppermint Oil
Points to Consider for Hair Wash after Hair Transplant
The following are points to consider for hair washing.
- Before hair washing, spray a thin layer of panthenol on the transplanted grafts and wait about 40 minutes.
- To ensure that grafts are not exposed to pressurized water, adjust the water to warm rather than hot and change the pressure to low rather than high.
- Pour some shampoo on the recipient area, and use gentle fingertips to foam it by vertically touching grafts for about 15 minutes.
- To prevent potential infection, patiently rinse any tissue remnants or blood to prevent potential infection by gently rubbing the recipient zone.
- After washing, use a warm towel for hair drying rather than a normal towel, as the latter can pull on grafts.
- Apply the Fucicort cream to the donor area, but not the recipient area, if the patient is about to wash hair within the first five days post-procedure.
When Should One Consider Hair Washing after Hair Transplant?
You should wait for 48 hours after hair transplant surgery. One is allowed to take a body shower before surgery. Starting on Day 3 after the transplant, the patient may begin the hair washing. Be very gentle for the first five days. Too much scrubbing after might dislodge a graft. Don’t let your head go directly under the shower, as some shower heads have harsh pressure. A rain shower that distributes the water over a wide area is best.
The patient should also do the washing itself very gently. The best method is to squeeze a little shampoo in your hand, lather it well between your fingers, and then carefully rub it. If any scabs remain after seven days, apply conditioner to the recipient region and gently massage in a circular motion to help them fall off.
Can You Massage Your Scalp When Washing Your Hair after Hair Transplant?
Individuals are advised to wait 10 days before massaging their scalp for the first time after surgery. Even then, they need to massage gently. The reason is that one must wait for at least ten days for the scalp to deal with the effects of the surgery. Not waiting for ten days may create high chances that the transplanted hair follicles get damaged.
When Can You Normally Wash Your Hair after Hair Restoration?
After about 7-10 days, there should be no more traces of dried blood. You may start washing your hair normally after 14 days at the earliest. One can also wash the hair more than once a day if needed. For further information, consult the hair restoration doctors near you.
Hair Loss Treatment Options in Freehold, NJ
With the advanced technology for cosmetic treatment, we provide:
- FUE Hair Transplants
- FUT Hair Transplants
- Medicated Treatment for Hair loss
- PRP Therapy
- Laser Cap
In a Nutshell
Hair restoration comprises several procedures. Hair washing after a hair transplant is very important. However, the success of a hair transplant depends on how individuals take care of their hair post-surgery is critical. Consult the best hair transplant center near you to learn more about post-procedure care.
Consult New Jersey Hair Restoration for the Best Hair Restoration Treatment
New Jersey Hair Restoration Center has successfully managed to transform many lives in Freehold, NJ, and surrounding areas. Our doctors have remarkable experience in hair restoration and hair-related concerns. Besides treatment, we have also assisted with hair washing after restoration. Please book your appointment or call us to resolve all your hair problems today.